Monday, October 15, 2007

Fishing In Chelan

The boat was finally on the water. The launch had went amazingly smoothly and I was ready to reel in a fish! That morning was a perfect time for fishing, it wasn’t very hot and the waters were calm as they get. My dad was looking and driving around trying to find the perfect fishing spot.

We passed under a small bridge and we thought where we were looked like a great spot to drop our lines. I saw plenty of fish jumping so I was starting to think we might actually catch some fish. We slowed the boat until it was at trolling speed. All lines had been dropped, except for mine. I finally was ready to drop mine after my dad put a “wedding ring,” which is a lure, on my pole. Now, we were ready to catch some serious fish.

For thirty minutes we trolled back and forth, and had caught nothing, zip, zilch. Not even a bite! The big highlight of these thirty minutes was feeding the ducks that were following our boat our leftover bagel from breakfast. Which I thought was awesome because I love to feed ducks! Anyways, back to fishing, we went back out under the bridge to exit the completely dead fishing spot. We stopped our boat just about ten to twenty feet past these white buoys, that were on either side of the lake, that had the words “No Wake,” painted on them. We trolled out a bit from where we originally stopped, then we trolled back in towards the buoys. Right when we were only feet away from passing the buoys BAM! My dad’s pole had a fish on!! I had called the first fish, so my dad handed the pole to me. I reeled and I reeled the fish in (which wasn’t too hard) When I got it up to the boat my dad netted it. Turns out it was a small-medium size smallmouth bass, about .3-.5 lbs. Yes, the first fish of the trip!

We finally figured out where “the perfect spot” was, it was right where we had caught the first fish. Every time we trolled past there we caught a fish. The second time we trolled past my dad’s pole had a fish on, again! Since it was my brother’s turn he reeled it in. This fish was a big smallmouth bass around .7 or .8 lbs (big for a smallmouth bass)! As the day rolled on we caught two more smallmouth bass, both around .5-.6 lbs. We had caught just enough for dinner.

That night, our last night in Chelan, we had the fish for dinner. With a little bit of spice it was the perfect dinner, a dinner we caught ourselves.

1 comment:

Alexis said...

I liked this even though I don't really like to go fishing. This was interesting because when you started it was kind of where action was happening.

Alexis